Economic Processes Management: International Scientific E-Journal. 2017. № 1
Section: International aspects of economic processes management
Cite this article:
Cherkas N. I. (2017). International competitiveness of Eastern European countries: importance of trade orientation and eurointegration, Economic Processes Management: International Scientific E-Journal, 1, Retrieved from: http://epm.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/download/2017_1/epm2017_1_2.pdf
Cherkas Nataliia Igorivna
PhD in Economics, Associate Professor, Department of International Economics,
Kyiv National Economic University, Ukraine
The paper analyses international competitiveness of foreign trade of three Eastern European countries: Belarus, Slovakia and Ukraine. For Eastern Europe trade direction moved steadily during the transition period from the CIS countries to EU. In order to compare the development of trade integration is important to examine the intra-industry trade (IIT). The paper provides the comparison of Grubel–Lloyd indices for Ukraine, Slovakia and Belarus with EU and CIS countries during the period from 1995 to 2015. To consider the technological readiness of these countries we analyze in detail the group 7: Machinery and transport equipment. We find that a rise in intra-industry trade is driven by the introduction of a new variety of exports. The results suggest that EU integration have tended to demonstrate IIT grow while increasing specialization in exporting high-technology as opposed to traditional or low technology goods.
competitiveness, Eastern Europe, intra-industry trade, eurointegration, technological readiness
- Botrić, V. (2013). Determinants of intra-industry trade between Western Balkans and EU-15: Evidence from bilateral data. International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research, 2, 7–23.
- Cherkas, N. (2006). Technological Exports and the Dynamics of Ukraine’s Economic Growth. International Economic Policy, 4, 5–28.
- Cherkas, N. (2012). Structural-Sectoral Model of Export: Objective Factors of Ukraine’s Economic Growth. Actual Problems of Economics, 1(127), 111–119. [in Ukrainian].
- Dautovic, E., Orszaghova, L., & Schudel, W. (2014). Intra-industry trade between CESEE countries and the EU15 (No. 1719). European Central Bank.
- Gaetsewe, T., Kapunda, S. M., & Motlaleng, G. R. (2015). An Econometric Approach to Exchange Control Liberalization and Economic Growth: The Case of Botswana. African Journal of Economic Review, 3(1), 54–71.
- Grubel, H. G., & and Lloyd, P. J. (1975). Intra-Industry Trade: The Theory and Measurement of International Trade in Differentiated Products. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Hoekman, B., & Djankov, S. (1997). Determinants of the export structure of countries in Central and Eastern Europe. The World Bank Economic Review, 11(3), 471–487.
- Ito, T., & Okubo, T. (2012). New Aspects of Intraindustry Trade in EU Countries. The World Economy, 35(9), 1126–1138.
- Jambor, A. (2014). Country Specific Determinants of Horizontal and Vertical Intra‐industry Agri food Trade: The Case of the EU New Member States. Journal of Agricultural Economics, 65(3), 663–682.
- Kilduff, P., & Chi, T. (2007). Analysis of comparative advantage in the textile complex: A study of Eastern European and former Soviet Union nations. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 11(1), 82–
- Kim, T. (2014). Economic development, vertical intra-industry trade and gains from trade. Modern Economy, 5(01), 1.
- Korol, O., Cherkas, N. (2015). The economic impact of foreign Debt in Greece. The Baltic Journal of Economic Studies, 1, 105–112.
- Orszaghova, L., Savelin, L., & Schudel, W. (2013). External competitiveness of EU candidate countries ECB occasional paper (No. 141). European Central Bank.
- Shevchuk, V., Cherkas, N., Atamanchuk, Z. (2007). Monetary effects of balance of payment and re-monetization of Ukrainian economy. Strategic Priorities, 3(4). 67–75. [in Ukrainian].
- Shevchuk, V., Cherkas, N. (2008). The impact of regional industrial production and foreign trade geography on technological exports. Regional economy, 2, 34–43. [in Ukrainian].
- Statistics, U. N. C. T. A. D. International trade (2016).
- Veličkovski, I., & Stojkov, A. (2014). Is the European integration speeding up the economic convergence process of the Central and South-Eastern European countries? A shock perspective. Empirica, 41(2), 287–321.
- Yucel, G. E. (2014). The Effects of EU Customs Union Integration on Turkish Intra-industry Trade. Emerging Markets Journal, 4(1), 17.