Credit frictions, financial leverage and assets prices: nonlinear dynamic interrelations
Demchuk Natalia Ivanivna Doctor of Economics, Associate Professor, Professor of Department of Finance, Pavlenko Oksana Pavlivna Candidate of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of Department of Finance,
Dnepropetrovsk State Agrarian and Economic University, Ukraine
The main purpose of the paper is to develop the ideas of procyclical leverage behavior and reverse of the normal demand for assets emphasized by Adrian and Shin (2008). We analyze nonlinear interrelations between credit frictions, banks’ balance sheets, leverage, and assets prices in the structure of reinforcing and balancing feedback loops. Also we develop an Adrian and Shin’s interesting hypothesis of about fundamental changes of the microeconomic foundations of demand curve in conditions of lending expanding.
1. Myrdal, G. (1972). Suchasnі problemi “tretogo svitu” [Modern Problems “Third World”]. Moscow: Bankі і birgi [in Russian].
2. Veblen, T. (1989). Why Is Economics Not An Evolutionary Science? [Why Is Economics Not An Evolutionary Science?]. London: Quarterly Journal of Economics [in English].
3. Commons, J. (1931). Institutional Economics [Institutional Economics]. American Economic Review [in English].
4. Galbraith, J.K. (1979). Economicheskie theorii i celi obshestva [Economic theory and goals of society]. Moscow: Progress [in Russian].
5. Perroux, F. (1971). The Domination Effect and Modern Economic Theory [The Domination Effect and Modern Economic Theory] Power in Economics Ed. by K.W.Rothschild. – Harmondworth: Penguin books [in English].
6. Rutherford, M. (1995). Institutions in Economics [Institutions in Economics]. The Old and The New Institutionalism.- Cambridge [in English].
7. Tobias A., Boyarchenko N., (2013). Intermediary Leverage Cycles and Federal Reserve Bank of New York [Intermediary Leverage Cycles and Federal Reserve Bank of New York]. Staff Reports Financial Stability. New York [in English].
Demchuk N. I. Credit frictions, financial leverage and assets prices: nonlinear dynamic interrelations [Internet source] / N. I. Demchuk, O. P. Pavlenko // Economic Processes Management: International Scientific E-Journal. – 2014. – № 4. – Access mode: http://epm.fem.sumdu.edu.ua/download/2014_4/2014_4_2.pdf